Got tax questions? Keep Your Home California has some answers, but refers most to professional tax preparers

It’s beginning to feel like crunch time.

You’ve seen the ads for the national tax preparers, the documents have arrived in the mail, and the calendar flips just a little faster this time of the year.

Welcome to tax season. Tax Day (April 17, 2018) is right around the corner.

It’s also when many soon-to-be tax-filing homeowners begin calling, emailing or posting on social media their tax-related questions to Keep Your Home California. Our counselors know a lot about the free mortgage-assistance program, but they are not tax advisers.

We let professionals – accountants, tax preparers or even software – handle tax-related questions. It’s our policy and the law. Only tax professionals, folks who have completed numbers-crunching courses and feast on figures, are allowed to provide tax advice.

However, the Keep Your Home California website’s Frequently Asked Questions page provides information on several of the most-asked tax-related questions from homeowners who have received assistance from the program:

The most frequent question among homeowners can also be found on the FAQ page: Do I have to pay taxes on the benefits assistance received from Keep Your Home California?

We’ll save you from the suspense – consult a tax professional.

The section on tax is near the bottom of the FAQ page. You can also search the FAQ page for “1098-MA Tax Statement,” which will take your cursor to the section.


It’s unfortunate that we cannot answer tax-related questions, but our focus is on helping you save your home from foreclosure. We leave taxes to professionals. Additional information is also available from the Internal Revenue Service.

If you are more comfortable in another language, the entire Keep Your Home California website – including the FAQ page with the tax-related questions – can be translated into virtually any language through Google Translate. Just go to the homepage and click on “Select Language” in the upper right corner.

Also, Conserva Tu Casa California offers the entire Keep Your Home California website in Spanish.

If you have questions about Keep Your Home California, please call the counseling center at 888-954-5337 or visit The counseling center is open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays. Calls can be taken in virtually any language.